Tuesday was an exhausting day of traveling,  starting with the stairs.  Old hotels are charming, until you have to hoik one suitcase; a weekend bag, loaded with books, and a backpack down four flights of a spiral staircase.  Also, down the steps of the Métro station, back up the flights of a Métro station when told there wasn’t a caisse to take my credit card.  I was directed to the next station down the line, where I finally bought my ticket to the airport.  Then I lugged my luggage through the Métro station (again), and once more when I had had to change trains.  A few Frenchpeople helped me with my luggage, for which I am grateful (and because of which, I am slightly less bruised).  I checked in, and finally unloaded my luggage and felt free, free, dammit!

The flight itself was pretty uneventful.  I spoke franglais with a group of three Frenchpeople going to San Francisco.  I also watched three movies (it was a long flight), including Blades of Glory, which caused me to laugh out loud on the plane.

I had to through customs before my flight to Chicago, which wasn’t too bad, although I forgot to take my laptop out of my bag, and had to go through the security twice.   All in all, by the time I got home, I had been up for 24 hours.

As you may have noted from yesterday’s posts, I am back and trying to get on Central Daylight Time.  Last night, I went to bed at about 6:30 pm (about 1:30 France time), and woke up at 2:19 am.  This was not going to help, so I took a melatonin, got drowsy, and slept until 7:30.  Sure, that’s a lot of sleep, but considering the past few days, I probably needed it.

While in France, I applied for a couple of jobs, and I got one:  I start next week.  It’s hotel housekeeping, but it is a job and I have no aversion to work.  Just for a lark, I went by my other job (which doesn’t start until the end of August), just to see if I could pick up a few hours before the start of the school year.  My timing was impeccable, because I can.  So I will have two jobs.  Once the school year starts, if I can keep them both to 16 hours each, I can work 32 hours a week and still have enough time to study.  Now not having a love life helps me, as I find I have time to flog myself like a rented mule in order to a) keep body and soul together b) keep my grades at their high level and c) save some money for my eventual déménagement to wherever I end up for grad school.  Sure, it’s not glamorous, but since my life has not been glamorous (trips to France aside), I won’t really notice, will I?

I am also having dinner with my father (I invited myself for free food), which normally fills me with dread, but because I have hours of conversational material, I’m actually looking forward too.  My father has many stellar qualities, but keeping his end of a conversation has never been one of them.  On an ordinary day, I simply cannot keep the flow of conversation going by myself for that long:  but I have hours of material and a captive audience, so I will be more than all right (I can’t say the same for my dad, though).

Cicadian rhythms excluded, I have found it incredibly easy to fall back into my regular life.  I also found it easy, once I caught up on sleep, adjust to life in France, so I guess I’m even more adaptable than I originally thought.  I think that bodes well for the rest of my life.